Nicole Black is the tech evangelist for MyCase. But long before she enjoyed her new position, she was a tech geek and advocate for tech in the legal space. The 21st legal consumer is different and their client service expectations are very different. If you don’t know how to reach them, they are going to move on to the lawyer who does. Today, Nicole and I discuss reaching the 21st century client through technology. Learn how to be the lawyer the 21st century legal consumer will come to again, and again.
They made misleading claims about how many of their students were likely to find a job, obscuring the grim reality of how few get employment in their field. They buried their graduates in piles of debt they could not reasonably repay, and admitted unqualified students in pursuit of tuition revenue. They often failed to educate their students well enough to pass the tests required to land a job. And the watchdog that oversees them is facing sanctions from the Education Department.
This might sound very much like the scandal-ridden world of for-profit colleges. But since the recession, it has also become an accurate way to describe some American law schools. So, will the government step in and cancel your student loans?
By 2017, it is estimated that 95% of non-cash transactions will be paid by credit or debit cards. That leaves just a mere 5% paid through traditional paper check payments. Many attorneys are beginning to recognize if they don’t accept credit cards already, they may need to reconsider in order to facilitate collection of fees in the very near future.
If I hear one more lawyer tell me they referred out a case to another lawyer ‘just because’ and maybe that lawyer will send something their way down the road, I want to scream, ‘You are leaving money on the table.’ Do you not understand what a referral fee is? Do you not understand the value of this fee to provide you some financial stability for your practice?
“Meet the law graduate who used SUGAR DADDIES she met online to finance her entire $50,000-a-year education.” This is the headline that made all the rounds last week. It’s provocative and created a lot of conversation. We posted the article on our Facebook page (- join us!) but reserved opinion because we wanted to see what our friends would say. Now it’s our turn.
You’re in business. You’re doing pretty well. But the restlessness sets in because your practice has become somewhat routine and is flowing smoothly. Yet there is an itch to do more, something, anything different. The dilemma is this itch is aching to be scratched. You’re practice doesn’t feel like it’s enough. What do you do?
Every time a client makes the decision to retain a lawyer, they weigh the fee against the value of your services. If your fee is too high relative to the (perceived) value they will receive, they are not going to retain you. Therefore, if you don’t have a compelling value proposition, you must reduce your fee in order to get the client to retain you. And no lawyer really wants to do that, right? Because then you are competing based upon fees (cost proposition) and that is a losing game. So, what do you do?
Society as a whole encourages suppression of feelings. The legal profession, as a micro-culture, further encourages lawyers to suppress their feelings. What happens when feelings are suppressed to such a degree? This is a very powerful 32 minutes. We discuss lawyers and how they deal with (and don’t deal with) feelings in the practice of law. […]